Monday 2nd February 2015, evening meeting at London Metropolitan University.
Many thanks to all those who attended our open meeting on 2nd February 2015, and especially to those who have offered to become involved with the Society’s activity groups about ethics, certification, education, conferences and standards.
Many thanks again to London Metropolitan University for their kind provision of the venue, especially to Prof. Dominic Palmer-Brown and Seema Patel, and also to Vassil T. Vassilev for his interesting presentation on dynamic user profiling.
The Society of Data Miners is an independent non-profit organisation for the public good with the purposes to:
- Increase the benefits of data mining to society;
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the nature and benefits of data mining;
- Advance the profession of data mining;
- Form a community of and for data miners.
In pursuit of these purposes, the Society of Data Miners will:
- Hold events for data miners to exchange experience, formulate best practice and broaden the scope and benefits of data mining;
- Encourage adoption of the highest ethical standards in data mining;
- Provide public and media information about data mining and its benefits;
- Provide certification of data miners who have reached a recognised level of competence and experience in data mining practice;
- Encourage the creation of a literature of data mining practice;
- Encourage data mining standards;
Welcome to the SocDM newsletter. Our first issue contains:
- A welcome from the Chairman, and dicussion of SocDM activities;
- Analysing Early Adoption, by Francine Bennett;
- R for Open Source Data Mining, by Andy Pryke;
- The case for a Chief Analytics Officer, by Chris Hemingway;
- Introducing the SocDM directors.
Launching the Society of Data Miners: First Open Meeting
The first open meeting of the Society was held at Nesta in London on Tues 11th Feb 2014.
A big thank you to everyone who took part in our first open meeting, especially to the presenters Andy Pryke, Fran Bennett and Chris Hemingway whose hard work made the event so valuable, and to Nesta for their kind provision of the venue and assistance with organisation.
Thanks also to all those who have expressed an interest in being involved in specific future activities of the Society; we are collating the information from the meeting and will be in touch with you shortly.
The Society of Data Miners was launched at Predictive Analytics World, London on 23rd October 2013 - PRESS RELEASE.
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
I’m delighted to announce the launch of the Society of Data Miners, a new professional body for the field of data mining and analytics. The founding directors are: Tom Khabaza (chairman), Rick Adderley, Chris Hemmingway, Andy Pryke and Duncan Ross. Our aim is to bring the analytics community together to establish the profession and increase the benefits delivered.
The Society was launched at Predictive Analytics World in London on the 23rd of October 2013.